Thursday, May 6, 2010

Last post as a college student!

So, I'm moving on. No more college life for me. I'm graduating this Saturday, May 8. My whole family is coming down to celebrate! It's time for me to go experience the real world and start my career as a PR professional. When I look back at everything I learned in PR I find myself concentrating on these top ten learning experiences.

1. Don't be scared to take charge. I was nervous to be the Relay for Life decorations coordinator, but I jumped right in and everything worked out. I gained a lot of experience and respect for PR event planners.
2. Every idea is a good idea! Even if your idea isn't picked, it might lead to a better one.
3. If you are going to be a PR professional make sure you have A LOT of time and caffeine, and if you don't have time, you better be good at time management. Know that you will be running on no sleep about 90 percent of the time.
4. Stay motivated and organized. I had to keep myself motivated when I was tired and I didn't want to do anymore work. Staying organized cut down on my time spend doing work.
5. I know you've heard this since elementary school, but its important---Always have a good attitude, especially when you are in PR. When you are working with people, it makes it so much easier when are nice.
6. ALWAYS have a back-up plan. Working on our final PR event this semester, I learned that a back-up plan is always necessary. Things change so you have to make sure you're ready for every possible situation.
7. Another really important thing I learned is that no matter how much you think you are right, you're not, the client has the final say and really only say.
8. Be on your feet at your event. Make sure you stay alert and know what is going on, you don't want to look unprepared and uninterested.
9. Network, network, network. Make sure you are meeting people and giving out your information...you never know when you might land your next job.
10. Know everything about social media.

So good luck future GC&SU PR students!

No comments:

Post a Comment